Monday, March 22, 2010

Format for E-reader Referencing

No need to confirm that I have been quite enthusiastic about the availability of electronic books generally and the e-book reader the Kindle in particular. After a couple of weeks of assessment of the device, I am still convinced that while the iPad will be out in a short while, I will not consider buying a more expensive gadget while the Kindle is still available. However, I am faced with a dilemma regarding the use of the Kindle and I am wondering whether there is any solution out there yet.

This dilemma comes from my thinking that most owners of the Kindle so far are probably voracious readers of books of all kinds. A number of them are definitely academics with a substantial proportion comprised of professionals who may even require the gadget for the performance of their regular work. These users of the Kindle have the ability  its users have access to a clipping facility in addition to wide storage of texts. Noting that the Kindle has understandably replaced pagination with a location facility has led me to wonder whether there is a mechanism for referencing pieces from the texts available in Kindle format. What happens when one needs to write an article and the article to be referred to is available in Kindle format. To my mind, this is not a trivial question because e-readers will be a facility for using text books and professional journals soon.

No comments: