Monday, November 02, 2009

A Sober Take on Ayn Rand

Among the most difficult things to communicate about popular books is that it is possible for an otherwise average author to tackle a profound subject brilliantly. And so while I define myself as a person who appreciates the profound insights by Ayn Rand, I am often left to wonder whether I read the same books as some of her greatest admirers did. My view of her books is that she writes about very profound matters through impressive characterization but I find her prose style a bit drab. And that does not then mean that her books are unworthy of reading, it is only that perhaps no writer could be gifted with all three qualities. In my view, the story telling is important because some of the most popular of Ayn Rand books are huge tomes and may be especially taxing when the prose is uninviting.

That notwithstanding, I find that Ayn Rand's books and especially the Anthem, The Fountainhead and Atlas Shrugged tackle profound issues that are of significance for those wondering about the organization of society. With this in mind, I agree that some of the most strident arguments against her books are overstated while some of the adherents to her philosophy are equally exaggerators of her writing ability.

Governor Mark Stanford makes the same argument in this piece in the Newsweek Magazine where he starts by saying that he was equally impressed with the weight of the issues that the were covered in Ayn Rand's most popular titles. To my mind, the idea of individual ability and freedom should not be controversial and one that the books have examined in detail. Starting with the appropriate metaphorical ring of Atlas Shrugged, the books by this author address very profound issues regarding individual initiative and freedom as compared to statism and collectivism. I am less convinced of her absolute rejection of the role of government in public affairs but still think that the overall belief in freedom for the individual is an extremely valuable and empirically valid point. So while the Governor indicates that Ayn Rand too exhibited authoritarian traits within the organization that she formed, I respond with the view that this is a an equally profound manifestation of the contradictions of her life without negating the potency of a majority of her ideas.

No comments: