Monday, August 17, 2009

Usain Bolt Takes 36 Strides to the Record

I have reviewed casually the data from the Olympic games from last year. I told myself that the men's 100 meters sprint record was in my view off the curve that within two games, the timers would have to include at least three decimal places. My reason then was that with a world record established at 9.69 seconds by Usain Bolt, it would be soon not be possible to break that record by large margins.

Its  its a good thing that I did not place a large bet on that because Usain Bolt run a race at the World championships that set the record at 9.58 seconds. To my mind, it was not just the way that this runner made the world's best trained sprinters to look ordinary but the margin was huge in two ways. In my calculation to cut down that record of 9.69 seconds over a year by 0.11 seconds is an amazing feat notwithstanding the new training methods and technological aids. tThe second point is that his challengers run a fast race that would have won Ggold medals for the first four, two games ago.

As the story in the Irish Times here states, he did it all in 36 strides. That does not sound too many but they were really quick slides. Just like a bolt of lightening. It just makes me wonder how far the record can go and with the impression that Bolt has some more sprint power in reserve, we need not start taking 4 decimal places yet. nNot until bBolt is done with running.

No comments: