Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Australia Needs Effective Camel Population Control Solution

We live in a world in which sensitivity to the effects of human and animal activity to the environment is facing sharp scrutiny every day. So Australia has designed a camel population control policy that relies will rely primarily on shooting the animals from the air. Without doubt, animal rights activists are unhappy as they term this particular approach as completely brutal and unnecessary. As this story states, it appears that all the discussion is based on contentions without new and alternative proposals coming to the fore.

What most impresses me about the story is the fact that the camel population, which is estimated at 1 million, is expected to double in another nine years. The effective growth rate therefore is close to 8% annually. At this rate of growth, it is clear that a working solution is required. And I am pretty convinced that there's definitely a far better solution that could be brought to bear on this problem than that at hand. Again, admitting my bias towards solutions developed from competition, I am certain that for a prize equivalent to the anticipated cost of the camel population cull, a far better market derived option can be developed and put to use.

For instance, using a proportion of the Australian $20 million as a prize, the Australian government should set out a competition on the development of a viable population control plan that could be implemented across a time frame. In my view, the prize money could then be paid out in slices depending on the achievement of certain metrics. This can be done and I would myself enter that competition encouraged by even a small proportion of that prize.

So what would I propose? I cannot state this off the top of my head now but I think that the chosen approach would probably involve a variety of solutions as opposed to a silver bullet model. It is possible that a 900 kilogrammes animal could yield meat for export, with skin used as leather and live animals being auctioned too. I would wager that a composite solution comprising a market mechanism would emerge that would bring back a significant proportion of the Australian $20 million.

No comments: