Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Economics Signals End of Dandy Comic Book

I have been reviewing the extent to which the rise of digital media has affected the economics of the printing business generally and the print media in particular. I have been surprised by Mark Sweeney's finding in this article stating that one of the UK's most established comic book, The Dandy is facing closure for the reason that its circulation figures have been reduced to 8000 weekly copies. As stated, it is not that the decision to bring that 75-year old publication to a close has been made lightly. It seems that the publishers are alive to the fact that the population to which was originally intended have alternatives forms of entertainment in addition to different means for spending their money.

As a person with libertarian leanings, I find myself conflicted about the decision that seems to be prudent because it is based on the hard facts. On the other hand, I am wondering whether it is possible to reconfigure these comic books and deliver them through other digital means such as applications. And yet I am aware that the producers of these brand comic books that I once read must have considered a number of ways of maintaining the demand for their products and are probably at their wits end. Noting also that as Mark Sweeney mentions, about 3 decades ago, the same publication sold about 2 million copies weekly makes me wonder whether today's youngsters are totally different from their parents. This is because the comics books were really funny and suitable across a range of ages. It surprises me that with incomes having grown, the comic books should not have retained a level of demand to ensure its survival.

This suggests to me that there may be problems that can be analyzed through the instruments of economic theory but to which solutions may not exist. I would be content if the archive of all these comics were maintained in digital form for one never knows whether a new business model may emerge to make them profitable alone.

I apologize that I just could not find a free image of one of the characters to spice up the page. 

No comments: