Friday, February 24, 2012

Lessons From a New Copier

I was trying to figure out how to use the new copier in a certain corner of the office where I work when I noted that machine makers have a sense of humour. On the left hand corner of the surface of the plate is a warning stating that it is illegal to use this copier for generating photocopies of bank notes, cash, passports, certificates, securities and stamps. Having seen this, I rubbed my eyes and asked myself why this warning was necessary.

Thinking about it, it is clear to me that this item sells in various parts of the world and it may well be that in some countries, making copies of currency is forbidden. Now, the manufacturers of this machine seem to consider it their duty to warn users that making these copies would be criminal activity. I think that this manufacturer is being very kind to its customers but is merely reacting to the need to issue too many warnings in order to forestall any vexatious litigation.

To my mind, some managers considered that since the machine could be used to make forgeries, it may be in their interest to ensure that no person may claim that the machine facilitated criminal action. I am sure that this is not the way to go because people should understand that in purchasing a machine, the maker has in mind that it would be used for lawful purposes only. And that's why I was amused that a manufacturer of this machine assumes the responsibility for this warning. I would have thought that anybody who is capable of using this complicated gadget should know that copying currency may be a crime. The notice would be more accurate if its added that copying the following items with intent to use them as original is forbidden. 

No comments: