Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Is Facebook Like a City?

To be honest, I have not figured out exactly how the leading enterprises in the social media industry will be able to convert the large user-base into a revenue model. I am certain that the answer is out there but unlike a majority of people who are enthusiastic about the rise of these new industries, I do not mind being educated on how that will happen. I would be ready to bet that it will be very hard and that at best, only a handful will succeed in finding and executing that revenue plan.

To me, the most obvious value in social media today is that they represent a platform for rich and real time data that is subject to interesting analysis. That idea resurfaced as I was going through this original take on Facebook by Wabi-Sabi and Ikeda at the Foundation for Economic Education (FEE). I am sure that these two are not the first to compare that formidable network to a real-life phenomena but I find their comparison to the growth of cities really interesting. Going on a  limb, one could say that the linkages between people on Facebook would be parallel to how cities grew and that those links are in turn measures of prosperity in the way that cities represent dense networks for economic activity. 

No comments: