Monday, May 16, 2011

Competing Through Public Relations

In the quest to understand the nature of competition in technology markets, I have been following keenly a number of corporations including Google, Facebook, Apple, Microsoft and a couple of others. I am not writing any apers on this but trying to see for myself how technology transform markets, which in turn transforms technology. My not very insightful hunch is that the mechanism for that transformation is through the instrument of competition. This is because while Google and Facebook started with a different view to the services they provided, there's been an unintended convergence on audiences and space that they are now rightly seen as one another's competitor.

Coming back to competition, I have to state that I have been completely unimpressed with the approach taken by Facebook as described by Josh Halliday in the Guardian. Its easy to sit back and say that competition does not need to take place in such ways but one cannot help but be concerned that even corporations run by very intelligent people cannot save their time and concentrate on what they do best. And I am thinking that the same PR firm being involved in this game shows something about the firm more than its clients. Unfettered competition is really a public good.

  

No comments: