Tuesday, March 29, 2011

The Evolution of the Chameleon

A few hours ago, I was seated at a garden restaurant when I noticed a slow moving creature that was perfectly camouflaged against a brownish tree trunk. My stream of thoughts led me to try and trace its slow movement, where one limb moves tentatively forward and then followed by another as it rolled down that tree trunk. Putting on my quasi-scientific thinking cap, I mused, "So this creature is supposed to be perfectly adapted to its environment?"

This question continued to turn in my mind as I tried to figure out what is the evolutionary advantage of moving so slowly in an area with shrubs. It is perfectly understandable that the ability to change color is useful for evading predators and insect prey by being undetectable. On the other hand, once it is detected, its tentative steps condemn it to very easy seizure by a bird or other animal that may feed on it. A straight answer may be that the tentative movements are part of its survival because it is compensated for by a very long, sticky and quick tongue that allows it to capture insects while it is yet undetected.

I am not sure how all this evolutionary advantages fit together for this ugly but amazing creature. I think that there is no perfect answer because it appears that often in the quest to justify the valid scientific process of evolution, we first detect the facts and thereafter adopt a narrative with an evolutionary rationale.

Picture Available at: www.ilovechameleons.com        

No comments: